Sunday, September 16, 2007




After a few nights of partying in Amsterdam, I decided to take it easy by doing a little outing to a couple of smaller towns in the Netherlands.

My first stop was Eindhoven, which is about an hour and a half train ride from Amsterdam. It had plenty of old medieval churches, and plenty of amazingly unique architecture. I wandered around for two hours, taking in the sights and also pictures. I arrived at 8:30 am and it was particularly quiet, but this can be explained as it was Sunday morning. I enjoyed myself there, but it was very similar to Amsterdam, without the canals or the people.

My next stop was going to be Maastricht but the trained labelled Maastricht ended in Heerlen and I was forced to get of. This turned out alright as there was a smaller, commuter train that went from Heerlen to Maastricht. I enjoyed my time far more in Maastricht then in Eindhoven. Maastricht is a quaint and quiet european city. It has cobbled streets, tiny alleys and more street side cafes than you can shake a stick at. The churches there are incredible, however even Eindhoven had some spectacular churches. There was one statue outside a church that held a torch that was actually on fire, I don't know what the statue was for (everything being in dutch) but I am sure it was to warn people against something. There were also old Roman ruins in Maasticht but they are a bit out of town thus quite hard to get to by foot. I did, however, see the ruins from the train but as it was a high speed train and there isn't much left from roman times anyway, it was hard to get an idea of what they might be from. I slept on the way back to Amsterdam.

I am going to Den Hague tomorrow, the seat of Dutch government and I will be spending the night in Rotterdam.

See ya round the bend.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great pictures Erik. It is sure beautiful in Amsterdam. It sounds like you are really enjoying the expeience so far. We can't wait to see where you've been next. All our love, Mom, Dad and Tina. xoxo

Gail said...

Have fun in Copenhagen!!

G,G, & P