Sunday, September 23, 2007

Brussels & Han-sur-Lesse



Photo: The streets of Brussels are lined with Gothic architecture.



I had a fun time in Brussels. I was able to see the fine art museum here, and they have a fine collection of art indeed. Though they don't have any of those famous pieces that we see so often. Also, to my surprise they were having an exhibition on none other than Peter Paul Rubens. I didn't go to the exhibition but I did enjoy the art in the rest of the museum. I ate Belgian chocolate, and waffles, and both were above anything I have had before. In the case of the waffle, it was the best waffle I have eaten from a street vendor. Brussels is quite a bit hill-ier than any of the other cities I have been too, though being in Luxembourg it was not at all hilly, more on Luxembourg later. As for Brussels, I didn't do much else besides the museum and walk around the city. The city is quite nice and there is a lovely park near the centre. It was also the hardest to find my way around at first, they certainly didn't have a plan when they built this city.


I did a day trip to Han-sur-Lesse to see the caves that they have there. The caves were as I expected, dark, damp and a little creepy. They had a pretty cool light show about half way through that played off of the natural formations of the rocks. However, I was quite disappointed to learn that, at this time of year, they only offers tours in Dutch or French. I chose Dutch because they went into the cave first. I can only expected that what was being said was both interesting and educational. I tried to take photos but it was dark and I am not very good with a camera.

Photo: a massive stalactite column in the Han-sur-Lesse grotto

No comments: